How to make a placenta smoothie –
You will need:
- 1 handful of strawberries
- 1 handful of blueberries
- 1 handful of blackberries
- 1 small ripe banana
- walnut size piece of placenta
Add the fruit, the banana, and the placenta to a jug. Using a hand blender, blend the ingredients together. Add water or juice as needed.
Top tips from Doula Fairy – Placenta Specialist:
- Chill your placenta as soon as possible after birth. As a food processor, I need to make sure that your placenta is under 8 degrees Celsius within 4 hours of the time of it’s birth
- Make your smoothie as soon as possible. I have to make a placenta smoothie within 24 hours of birth to ensure that it is safe to consume. If you cannot make the smoothie straight away, remove a small piece from the placenta and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer until you are ready.
- Blend for a minute more than you think is necessary.
- Drink your smoothie as soon as you can, if you can’t drink it in one go, keep it in the fridge so that it is stored under 8 degrees Celsius. I advise clients to drink the whole smoothie within 24 hours of birth.
- Add more water/juice if it is too thick, the banana will thicken over time, give it a good shake and add fluids to loosen it up.
Reported benefits of consuming raw placenta:
- Reduction in blood loss
- Reduction in time for breast milk to “come-in”
- Increase in energy and strength
- Provides you with an immediate, bio-available, hit of healing hormones
- An immediate supply of bio-available vitamins and minerals
- Helps to halt post partum haemorrhage due to blood clotting properties (Midwifery Today)